Samsung on 9 August 2018, officially launched its latest flagship, here is my honest Samsung Galaxy note 9 phone review.
- Operating System, Android 8.1 Oreo
- CPU Snapdragon 845
- RAM 6GB and 8GB
- micro SD card-128/ 512GB
- Camera (rear) Dual 12MP (f/1.5 and f/2.4)
- The front camera has MP f/1.7
- Battery 4000mAH
- Display 6.4 inches (2960 *1440)
- Batter power can last up to 11 hrs
- Overall size 6.3*3*0,34 inches
- Weight 7.1 Ounces
- Colors Ocean blue Lavender and Purple
Samsung has officially launched the Samsung Galaxy Note 9 as from 9 August 2018. There has been a lot of rumor and speculation about the pecs and how this latest Samsung flagship may look like and with what capabilities. Samsung has tried it’s best to bring out what might be the best for its customers. It might not be surprising though that the Galaxy Note 9 is the biggest Samsung phone this year, taking into consideration its size, storage, and the price tag.
The Note 9 comes with spectacular features that are irresistible but has its High and Lows. Samsung has done a great job in trying to improve from Galaxy Note 8, But as you know, there will be never a perfect phone.
In the past three days I have had the privilege of using the Note 9, and at first, I could hardly differentiate it from Galaxy Note 8, except for its size. But a closer look will give the eye a ton of new features. Some features are not that important to an ordinary user though.
Galaxy Note 9 new features;
- The Stylus Pen– there has been many changes and improvements on how the S pen can be used. With the Stylus Pen, you can remotely control your phone. It now has Bluetooth connectivity, meaning you can remotely take selfies, skip music tracks on your phone and can be used as a presentation clicker. By default, pressing and holding the S Pen button, will automatically open the camera. However, you can customize it to open any application you want on your phone. Great isn’t it? :=). You can control your phone using new S pen magic tricks from 30 feet away. All these capabilities of the S pen make it a talking point of the Note 9.
2. A 4000 mAH battery, seemed to be one of the greatly improved features from Note 8’s 3300 mAH, However, it might be still too early to give a concrete conclusion on battery review at this stage, because, my analysis has produced very marginal differences on the power consumption. From what I have discovered, you can spend the whole day, that is around 11hrs of normal phone usage. This now differs on how you are using the phone and with what Applications. But overall, there are notable positive changes, which is a plus, considering Samsung has been trailing on this area.
3. Al camera the Galaxy Note 9 can detect more than 20 scenes from plants, food and many more in order to give the best photo/shot. This is the first time Samsung has used the word “AI” on its Samsung products. Note 9 has a dual 12P sensors that have a variable of (F/2.4 and F/1.5). The same in S9 Phone. Also, has 2* zooming capability enhanced by the optical lens.
4. Water -Yes, water ). The Galaxy Note 9 has water in it, water carbon fiber cooling system. Since from the Galaxy Note 7 battery mistakes, Samsung is trying its best in curbing battery overheating, so this water cooling system is enhanced to produce better performance without triggering high battery temperature.
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 phone review, the lows.
As I said earlier, it will be very difficult to have, in this world of technology, what we call a perfect mobile phone. Technology has set such a high benchmark for mobile phones manufacturers, that is impossible to meet. In this way, Note 9 is not an exception. Below I will walk you through some of the cons I managed to come up with during my review.
1. Very High Price
The phone comes with a staggering $999,9 price for the 128GB internal storage and 6GB memory model. As for the 512GB and 8GB memory model, the price is from $1250. That is too much for a mere phone, is it? The price is a bit high than an average phone. Actually, this equals the price of iPhone X. This is absolutely insane.
2. The OS is not latest-Despite being the latest Samsung Flagship and even launched after Google launched the Android Pie 9.0 version, the Galaxy Note 9 will be shelved with 8.1 version. Upgrading to 9.0 is not much of an issue but to Android Apps developers it could be an issue in developing Android Apps and in Account fragmentation.
3. The battery is non-removable
4. The vast surface of Galaxy note 9 is glass, users will have to be extra cautious as it may easily break. Approximately 82% of Note 9 surface is glass. The front and back of the Galaxy Note 9 come with a Gorilla glass protection, that gave me an immediate answer that both sides have the equal vulnerability of breaking. That will mean you will have to part with at least $100 in case you break it.
5. The responsiveness of the screen is not according to what I had expected. It’s a bit slower to fingertips taps
6. The models differ with Region-You can find that there is a US model of Galaxy Note 9 and a non-US model. That means if you have a US-supported Galaxy Note 9, you could face some difficulties in the network if you traveled outside the US. This is due to the copyright clash with chipset manufacturing company, Qualcomm. So, the US, Northern America and The Peoples’ Republic Of China have the Snapdragon 845 chipset and other regions will have Samsung’s Exynos 9810 processor. This is inconvenient for users because if you have a wrong model in the certain region, that will mean you can not receive updates and you could encounter network problems. There must be a solution to this.
If you a Gamer like me, Note 9 has the best answer for you; The water carbon cooling system prevents the phone from overheating when playing games, the performances when playing games is quite impressive.
The storage is irresistible, the 6GB/128GB Model has memory and internal storage respectively and this Galaxy note 9 version costs $1000. The 8GB RAM and 512GB internal memory version cost $1250 in the US and the memory is expandable. Samsung is also working on an SD card of 512GB, that will mean you could walk away with more than 1Terrabyte in your pocket.
The phone come furnished with a 4000mAh battery, Samsung has struggled to give its customers relief in the past, especially after the Note 7 battery incident. The Note 7 should have been the first phone of the Note series to bring a big battery with better performance, unfortunately, because of some major mistakes, Samsung was forced to discontinue it.
Note 9 however, has tried to correct that issue. I could notice that using my phone normally, I could, with easy, spend the whole day with the power, browsing the internet, chatting on Facebook, Twitter and WhatsApp and so on. The phone also supports wireless charging which you can buy separately though
Galaxy Note 9 has an inbuilt DeX software, this functionality allows it to operate fairly as a desktop computer, you can also use a Bluetooth connected keyboard and Note 9 has an impressive performance to run Microsoft office suite and YouTube at once. Absolutely Great.
Galaxy Note 9 is water and dust resistant, so the only worrying thing here is cracking, keep tight your phone and you are good to go, no stress. With much of the surface of the phone being glass, you have to be extra cautious.
This seems to be one of Samsung’s priority, Note 9 come packed with essential security like software screen lock (eg PIN, Password, and screen pattern lock) also included with the security package, like in any other Samsung mobile phone, there are face recognition and fingerprint scanner. However, as long as you have a mobile phone, it might always be a wise decision to take that extra step by installing some security software and ensure that your phone has the necessary security settings to secure your own privacy
So is it advisable to buy Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Probably YES. Though there are some grey areas, overall, the new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 is undoubtedly one of the best Android phones to bet in 2018. The storage, Al camera, the magic Stylus Pen, display and the 4000 mAh battery, are but hard to ignore. Remember, it might be hard or nearly impossible for you to get a perfect phone but Note 9 is nearest to some of the best at this moment
Pre Order Galaxy Note 9 starting on 10 August-and you could get a gift.
Note 9 will be officially available in stores starting from the 24th of August 2018 but you can pre-order before 24 August, you can get an awesome gift and can choose from;
- AKG N60 noise-canceling headphones (worth $299)
- 15,000 V Bucks, Fortnite Galaxy skin (worth $150) OR
- You could get both of them at a price tag of $99 (worth $449)